Spotlight on Amanda "Shelby" Wallace, 3L

Amanda "Shelby" Wallace, 3L
Undergrad: Towson University
Major: International Studies and Mandarin Chinese


Q. Where are you from? A. Baltimore, Maryland.

Q. How did you spend your summer? 
A. 1L summer I worked for Congressman Forbes in the Chesapeake office. Last summer I interned at the ACLJ.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you? 
A. It means having the knowledge and tenacity to help people and the causes I care about.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school? 
A. I wish I knew I was going to be so stressed. I think I would have taken a cruise beforehand. But it's all good, because I'm going to Disney World as soon as I graduate! Seriously though, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
A. Law school is competitive. But Regent is a very kind and encouraging environment. Not to mention the faculty really care about individual students—and like them!

Q. How is law school different from your college experience?
A. Undergrad is a mix of students, some of whom are not academically focused. Not only are the people in law school the academic type, school itself is much more demanding. Law school doesn't just teach you a new subject matter, it forces you to learn it in a new language as well.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why?
A. Biblical law—because I like history. International law—because I am fascinated by politics and foreign affairs.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. I would love to work in international law. But after taking trial practice I discovered I have a passion for criminal defense as well. We shall see!

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent?
A. Most of my friends here have very unique personalities and they keep me laughing.

Q. How do you prefer to study?
A. I prefer to study during the day, on my couch, with my two dogs lounging by my side. Usually with a fresh pot of coffee, too. I can only study for about 30 minutes at a time. Then I take a 5 minute break and then get back into it. Although 1L year I used to have to wake up at 5 in the morning to study because I had a 3 year old at home—it was the only time the house was quiet.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A. Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis. I like mythology and anything by C.S. Lewis.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse?
A. Micah 6:8 "He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." This verse is kind of a mantra to me. I want to make a difference in the world by pursing what is just, but also remembering to be merciful. On top of that humility is the key to everything worthwhile.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why?
A. Robert Fulton. I read a book about him when I was a kid. He had humble beginnings, but had such curiosity and drive that he became very successful in not just one, but multiple things. He taught himself French, became an excellent painter, and designed the first steam boat and submarine. His biography made me believe that I could be anything I wanted to be.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A. Professor Madison. He makes me laugh, he has a great personality, and I always enjoyed his classes. He also really cares about the spiritual growth of his students.

Q. What kinds of extra-curricular activities are you involved with?
A. I am the Chairwoman of the Republican National Lawyers Association (RNLA), a member of Phi Alpha Delta, and Secretary of the Student Animal Legal Defense Fund (SALDF). In my spare time I also paint (usually oil paintings).

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A. Take my daughter to the beach and the zoo. It doesn't get much better than that.

Q. Is there anything else you would like your peers or future law students to learn about you?
A. I have two big dogs, Bam-Bam and Daphne. I would get a third, but the husband says no.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: