Spotlight on Susan Niccolls, 3L

Susan Niccolls, 3L
Undergrad: California State University, Chico
Major: International Relations and Religious Studies
Q. Where are you from? 
A. El Sobrante, California, a small town in the San Fransisco Bay Area

Q. How did you spend your summer? 
A. I worked with a family law attorney back in California, took the non-profit tax exempt organizations and started working on planning chapel for the fall. My 1L summer I went to Strasbourg.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you?
A. Well, first I've wanted to be a lawyer for as long as I can remember so it means fulfilling a childhood dream. It also means gaining the tools and skills to work towards justice when I return to California.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school?
A. That there was going to be a fire, a hurricane and an earthquake all in the first month, and the proper use of the comma. (I have always had issues with commas.)

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
A. How cooperative everyone was. Before going to law school, I'd heard horror stories about how awful law school was and how cut throat ever one was, but people were nice, and really helpful.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience?
A. I think the biggest difference is that all the reading is necessary. In undergrad I could get away without even buying the books for some classes, and that is definitely not true for law school.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why?
A. Favorite class is hard to pick, but I think I would say Evidence, partially because Professor Duane made it fun, and partially because I love classes where you have easy to learn rules, which is why one of my other favorites was Civil Procedure.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. I want to do some type of litigation, preferably criminal law, but I'd be open to anything but the transactional and corporate stuff.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent?
A. Cool and nerdy.

Q. How do you prefer to study?
A. I review things before reading period but most of the time my major studying is done starting the week before finals and then during finals weeks until I have taken all my finals. When studying I like to either stay home or go to a friend’s place and study until I feel prepared for the test. When I study more than that I tend to stress out and start second guessing myself.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A. It is almost impossible to pick one but I guess if I had to I'd pick CS Lewis's Narnia books. (Yes, I know it's technically seven books, but they are all really short.). I've always loved reading and books in general and I remember my mom reading five of them to me when I was a very little girl (she skipped 6 Magicians Nephew because of hard to pronounce names and 7 Last Battle because she said I was too young) so I guess I've been conditioned to love those books.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse? 
A. Habakkuk 3: 17 and 18, “Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior.” This verse inspires me to be joyful at all occasions, something that isn't always easy to do.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A. I'm not sure when I was in Professor Ching's Contracts class he had people have lunch with him and that was fun and provided some really good advice. I'd probably say Professor Duane, he is a great professor and he teaches my favorite subjects. Although maybe I should say Ching or Pryor since I still don't understand parts of Contracts.

Q. What kinds of extra-curricular activities are you involved with?
A. I am currently one of the Law School Chaplains, I'm involved in Phi Alpha Delta and ADR, off campus I'm a member of my church's choir.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A. I don't know, I never know what I'm going to do with free time. I might go to the Botanical Gardens in Norfolk or I might just do nothing. I sometimes miss being able to sit and do nothing.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: