Spotlight on Leslie Ann Williams, 3L


Leslie Ann Williams, 3L
Undergrad: Charleston Southern University
Major: Business Management
Q. Where are you from?
A.
I am originally from Columbus, Ohio.

Q. How did you spend your summer? 
A. In the summer after my 1L year I interned with the Honorable Calvin R. DePew, Jr., a judge at the Virginia Beach General District Court. During my 2L summer, I was a legal intern for a local firm where I primarily performed research, conducted client interviews, and drafted court documents in the domestic relations and criminal defense fields. This upcoming summer, I will be studying for the bar exam!

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you? 
A. It means the fruition of a dream that I have had for many years, which provides me the opportunity to have a career I find challenging while helping people at critical moments in their lives.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school? 
A. I wish I had known what an emotionally, spiritually, and mentally challenging experience law school would be.  

Q. What surprised you most about Regent? 
A. I was most surprised at how committed the faculty and staff are to the success of each student. I have formed both professional and personal relationships that will last well after law school.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience? 
A. I didn’t have the traditional college experience. I attended the University of Florida for two years after high school and then enlisted in the U.S.A.F. It wasn’t until after I got out of the military that I finished my undergraduate degree while I maintained a full-time career. All that is to say, I have had much more time to focus on law school with less distractions than I did when I was completing my undergraduate degree. However, law school is such an unknown because you don’t have a way to gauge your progress until after you have completed your first set of exams.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why? 
A. My favorite class has been Criminal Law with Professor Craig Stern. It was Professor Stern that taught me to think beyond merely the black letter rules of law and instead to think from a more theoretical perspective in order to argue for and defend against criminal matters.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation? 
A. I still don’t know for certain, but I hope to be working in the family and/or criminal law arenas.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent? 
A. My group of friends is extremely close and we endeavor to challenge, encourage, and hold each other accountable in our professional, personal, and spiritual lives. One word: eclectic.

Q. How do you prefer to study? 
A. I have to study where I feel I am the most productive. It’s all about flexibility. I have changed study locations four times in one day before to get into my optimum study groove. I never can tell where I’ll end up during a good study session. Reading energizes me and when it is purposeful to my career, it energizes me even more.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why? 
A. That is not a fair question because there are too many books to name, but if I had to pick one it would be To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee because it’s an example of overcoming prejudice and injustice against others while confronting the stereotypes often unacknowledged in ourselves.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse? 
A. I don’t have a favorite verse, but a favorite chapter is 1 Corinthians 13. This chapter reminds me that the most important thing I can do is love. Not just those that are easy to love or fun to love, but those that need and deserve to be loved in spite of their sins or failings. We all have sins and failings. It’s that love which displays the heart of Jesus and what will ultimately speak more volumes than anything else I can do. It reminds me not to get caught up on approving of others sometimes when I really should be focused on accepting them.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why? 
A. Again, not a fair question, but one of them would have to be Benjamin Franklin so I could ask him what the Founding Fathers really intended when they drafted the Constitution and to generally converse with such a dynamic individual.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why? 
A. I would have lunch with Professor Eleanor Brown. She is a brilliant, Godly woman whose brain I would love to pick about various subject matters.

Q. What kinds of extra-curricular activities are you involved with? 
A. I currently serve as the Presiding Officer of the RUSL Honor Council and the Intramural Competition Coordinator for the Trial Advocacy Board.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area? 
A. WHEN I have entire weekends available (yes, it is possible) I try to experience different local activities from dining at new restaurants, attending various performance arts events, touring museums, and hiking in parks.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: