Spotlight on Amy Konopik, 3L

Amy Konopik, 3L
Undergrad: Biola University
Major: Intercultural Studies

Q. Where are you from?
A. I am originally from a small town in Northwest Iowa. After I finished my undergrad in California, I lived there for a few years before moving out to Virginia.
Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you?
A. Being a lawyer means to make a change in the world. It means to advocate for those who need a voice to be heard.
Q. How did you spend your summer?
A. I had some coursework to finish up at the beginning of the summer due to the school I missed when my daughter was born 15 weeks prematurely right after spring break. I spent the rest of the summer enjoying time with her when she came home from the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit after 106 days.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school?
A. The basic terminology! The first year, but especially the first few weeks, were an incredibly tough learning curve. “Which one is the plaintiff? Which is defendant? What does it mean to remand?”

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
A. I was surprised at how many other likeminded idealistic students there were. Many had majored in similar studies or went to similar schools. Regent students are not just studying to make the big bucks someday—they really want to make a change.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience?
A. Law school is much more time intensive. In college a lot of my reading was easily skimmed or short. At law school you really have to dig in and stay diligent.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why?
A. Last semester I took the Child Advocacy Practicum. I appreciated the chance to integrate law, faith, and my experiences into a practical application.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. I’m not 100% sure, but I think something along the lines of family law or advocating for children.

Q. How do you prefer to study?
A. I prefer to study at home, on my couch, with a cup of coffee in “comfy clothes.”

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A. Other than the Bible, I would have to say Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. It is a beautifully crafted novel that makes you feel a full range of emotions.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse? In what way does it speak to you or inspire you?
A. My favorite Bible verses change with different seasons of life. Right now I have been spending time in Hebrews and reflecting on Hebrews 4:14-16. “Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore, let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why?
A. Growing up, I spent hours at my church library picking out the next missionary biography to read. I would love to sit down with a giant of the faith like Amy Carmichael, Mary Slessor, Hudson Taylor, or Adoniram Judson and hear their stories of God’s faithfulness.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A. This question makes me feel like I’m playing favorites! All the professors have been so wonderful to me—especially last semester after I was hospitalized and my daughter was in the NICU. Many of them reached out to me and still check in to see how we are doing.

Q. What kinds of extracurricular activities are you involved with?
A. I recently joined the American Bar Association – Law Student Division here at Regent.

Q. Having transferred from another law school, what are your impressions of Regent University School of Law?
A. I love Regent. It was the right decision for me to come here. I wanted to be taught the law from people who love the Lord and be challenged to think Biblically about legal issues. Not only do I enjoy the instruction, but the instructors and students are so wonderful. Transferring can be tough—no one wants to be the “new kid,” but I was surprised at the excellence Regent both gives and demands. Regent also brings in speakers and has other learning opportunities that were not available at my old school.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A. It would probably focus around relaxing. I would sleep in! I would pack a picnic lunch and have a beach lunch with my family. It would also probably involve baking, cooking a good home meal, and maybe even some shopping. I might find a new corner of the area to explore because there is lots to do here. There also seems to be all sorts of different festivals in the area going on all the time celebrating different things, so I might want to find one and some friends and go have fun.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: