Spotlight on Kelsi Herbert, 3L

Kelsi Herbert, 3L
Undergrad: Arizona State University
Major: Psychology
Minor: English Literature
Q. Where are you from?
A.
Phoenix, Arizona.

Q. How did you spend your summer? 
A. Between my 1L and 2L summer, I started as an intern at GenerateHope in San Diego, CA, through the Center for Global Justice. I then spent the second half of the summer working for Judge Rea at the Maricopa Superior Court as a judicial extern and as a law clerk for my father’s firm Joseph A. Herbert P.C. in Phoenix, AZ.

The summer between my 2L and 3L year I stayed in Virginia. I spent the first half of my summer working for a family law attorney at Lori A. Michaud, P.C. in Virginia Beach. The second half of my summer was spent working for the City of Hampton Attorney’s Office as an intern in Hampton, VA.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you? 
A. Becoming a lawyer gives you a special opportunity to help people. Lawyers are a necessary profession that people rely on and I want to be a trustworthy attorney that people know is on their side.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school? 
A. I wish I had known how to manage my time. 1L year was a bit of a shock for the amount of homework each night and it took me awhile to get a hold on my busy schedule.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent? 
A. The community. Everyone is very kind, outgoing, and genuinely interested in supporting each other.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience? 
A. I went to a very large undergrad, so that was one of the biggest changes in having a much smaller class. The amount of assigned homework I have also increased significantly.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why? 
A. My favorite class was Civil Procedure with Professor Madison. He really made the cases come alive with his different visuals and humor.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation? 
A. I have not found a definite practice I would like to pursue, but I am definitely more civilly oriented.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent? 
A. My closest friends are very supportive and act as each other’s cheerleaders. Just little accomplishments are still a great step.

Q. How do you prefer to study? 
A. I like to study at home, at night for a couple hours and take breaks every half an hour.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why? 
A. It’s a tie between Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I love the romance and beauty of Pride and Prejudice. Frankenstein is one of my favorites because of the character struggles and the portrayal of how other people really can affect one’s own identity.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse? 
A. Matthew 7:25. This verse was my sorority’s motto and I think it really rings true in life. I believe if your values are well founded and supported than they will withstand difficult times.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why? 
A. Eleanor Roosevelt. I find her incredibly inspirational for speaking out for the causes she believed in even though they were not the popular opinion at the time. Her drive and courage to stand for those who did not have a champion shaped both domestic and international human rights.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why? 
A. Anca Potoan. I think she has some great stories from all the law students dropping off their LARW papers or reviewing their grades. There has to be a few funny freak-out moments.

Q. What kinds of extra-curricular activities are you involved with? 
A. I am currently the President of the International Law Society, a Managing Editor on the Journal of International Law, a Bloomberg Law Student Representative, a Kaplan Bar Review Student Representative, and a Student Ambassador. Additionally, I am active in my local sorority alumnae group.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area? 
A. I would like to visit the beach, the zoo, and eat lots of seafood.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: