Spotlight on Hannah Carter, 3L

Hannah Carter, 3L
Q. Where are you from?
A. Monroe, LA

Q. How did you spend your summer?
A. I had the privilege of interning with Chief Judge Deborah V. Bryan at the Virginia Beach Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court the first half of the summer, and then I interned with a family law attorney in the area Anthony Mulford the second half of the summer. I also had the opportunity to take a course with Professor Jacob on Non-Profit Tax Exempt Organizations.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you?
A. It is having the God given opportunity to be an advocate for people especially children both in the practice of law and through prayer. It is also the chance to listen to people and provide them with a fresh perspective on their situation.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school?
A. 1.) The importance of family/work balance. When I entered law school I was married to a very supportive husband, however, we did not set aside enough time to focus on just being a couple, which really drained us. Now, my husband and I are learning how to make each other a priority, which is difficult given the demands of being a 3L.

2.) Your priorities if you are Married: God first, your spouse second, your children, and then law school. This is harder to do in practice than it seems. In the moments when I do follow this order of priority, I feel the grace of God to do what He's called me to do rather than the frustration of being overwhelmed each day of my life.

3.) Take life one day at a time. It makes life much more manageable and it helps you to focus on what is important for today.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
A. The professors. They are intelligent, yet humble and very available to students. I have not had a professor where I felt like I could not approach him or her and ask for help.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why?
A. Favorite practical class: Negotiations teaches you so many skills that you can use outside of the classroom and it is a very practical skill for the profession of law.

Favorite hard class: Individual Federal Income Tax because it was challenging I really had to rely on God's strength to understand it. However, the teacher, Professor Brown, made the topic so much more enjoyable and approachable. She is a phenomenal teacher as well.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. Family law with a focus in child advocacy.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent?
A. We are a very random group of ladies from all over the United States with all different denominational backgrounds. In fact when I first met them, I thought that these girls were nice but they were not my “type” of friends. However, law school changes your perspective on what really matters. We founded a group our first year of law school called the Legal Pearl Society that meets once a week to pray, study the Bible, and enjoy life together. We call it the Legal Pearl Society because, like pearls, we are being refined by God daily to develop into a beautiful jewel that God can use. What started out as a bible study has grown to be a very tight knit group of friends.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse?
A. John 15: 5-8, “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father.” This passage has been one of my themes throughout law school. It is amazing the grace that comes upon your life when you learn to abide in the Word of God and focus on praising Him and not on worrying about all that you have to do.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why?
A. President Obama. I would ask him how being raised without a father impacted his life, and how has it inspired him to be a better dad. I would also ask him as a dad and the protector of two sweet girls, why does he believe that as a father killing innocent children through the process of abortion is something we should continue to protect in our laws?

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A. Pat Robertson, the founder and chancellor of Regent University. Regent University exists today because he was obedient to God. I would love to sit down with him and ask what steps he has taken in his life to continue to believe God for great things, even when those prayers were not answered right away. I also grew up listening to the 700 Club, so it would be fun to meet someone who has sown into my life through the years even if it was just nuggets of truth here and there.

Q. What kinds of extra-curricular activities are you involved with?
A. Council of Graduate Students, Vice President
Alternative Dispute Resolution Board, Senior Associate
Regent Students for Life
Phi Alpha Delta
Virginia Bar Association
Barbri Student Representative

Q. Is there anything else you would like to share with your peers or future law students?
A. If law school is something God has called you to do, then the grace will be there to do it. Much of law school is not about learning how much you can do on your own, but realizing how much you need the Lord to make it through anything.

If you are married, take time for your spouse. They were with you before law school, and they deserve to be appreciated during this grueling process.

Give yourself grace. You are not called to be perfect. You are called to be faithful. Learn the difference and you'll save yourself a lot of frustration.

If you are blessed to have children, make them a priority as well. Commit your time to God each day and watch him multiply your time. And on the days you don't, you will see how busy and unfruitful you are.


Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: