Spotlight on Olivia Summers, 3L

Olivia Summers, 3L

Q. Where are you from? 
A. I am from Rock River, Wyoming. It is a little town of about 230 people, just north of Laramie, Wyoming (home of the University of Wyoming).

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you? 
A. One of the reasons I chose to attend Regent was its motto--"Christian Leadership to Change the World." I believe that it is extremely important for Christians to be actively involved in the professional world, so that they may have an impact on the world. Being a lawyer is a tool by which I hope to make some positive impact in my sphere of influence.

Q. How did you spend your summer? 
A. This summer I interned at the European Center for Law and Justice in Strasbourg, France. I spent the summer translating French documents into English and learning how the European Court of Human Rights works in comparison to the U.S. court system.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school? 
A. More constitutional law! This has been a very interesting topic for me, but not one that easily understand. I think that it is important for the future leaders/educators of America to understand the principles and ideas on which this country was founded. I wish that I had known more before coming to law school, but I am very grateful for the knowledge that I have gained since coming to Regent.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent? 
A. Pleasantly, the fact that the professors and staff here really put their words into action. I was a bit skeptical as to whether Regent's motto would be merely a motto, and not a reality.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience? 
A. I've enjoyed both my college and law school experience, but in law school I have been able to make friendships that I hope will last a lifetime. Also, law school is just a completely different learning experience. In a way you have to re-learn how to learn.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why? 
A. That's a hard question to answer. I have enjoyed most, if not all, of my classes. I guess I would have to say either Trial Practice or Torts. I didn't expect to care for either of those classes, but the material, experience, and the professors really made those classes enjoyable.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation? 
A. I really have no idea! I have taken quite a few classes that are international law related, and would love the opportunity to work in that area. I have also had the opportunity to work with the American Center for Law and Justice, and have very much enjoyed working on constitutional religious freedom issues. However, I could also see myself working as a trial lawyer.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent? 
A. Diverse. I have made some wonderful friends here at Regent, and they are all unique. Each of them has added something different to my law school experience and has enriched my life in their own special way. It's exciting to see what God is doing in each of their lives. I am looking forward to seeing how they impact the world.

Q. How do you prefer to study? 
A. First, I like to go over the material we've covered in class. Then I like to have a small study group during which time we go over our outlines, study flashcards, and quiz one another. I don't have a particular spot, but the classrooms are nice. Once I've started to study I can keep going for quite a while, so generally I start with a study group and continue the rest of the time on my own.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why? 
A. Well, aside from the Bible, I'd have to say Education of a Wandering Man, by Louis L'amour. I grew up reading that book over and over again. As for the why: “A book is less important for what it says than for what it makes you think.” This book really made me think--made me realize that most of the time we are limited in what we can do only by the limits that we place on ourselves.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse? 
A. Currently, Colossians 3:12. "Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience." This, for me, is serves as a reminder of how important people and relationships are, and the characteristics that I need to develop.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why? 
A. Dr. Ben Carson. I read his book Gifted Hands when I was about ten years old. It had a great influence on my views on education, goals, and Christianity. 

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why? 
A. Professor Kohm. I really enjoyed getting to know her when I took her family law class. She is a woman of great character, and I very much respect her ability to balance her work and family life. Another professor that I admire is Professor McKee. Professor McKee seems to know more than I ever hope to about many areas of the law. She is compassionate and giving, and I hope some day to be able to emulate her.

Q. What kinds of extra curricular activities are you involved with? 
A. One of the most enjoyable things I do is tutor at the Norfolk Juvenile Detention Center. In addition, I work as a law clerk at the ACLJ, I am the Symposium Editor & Advertising Director for the Regent Journal of International Law, the Community Events Coordinator for BLSA, the Associate Presiding Officer of the Honor Council, and a member of Regent Students for Life.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area? 
A. Just explore the area. I enjoy scenic drives and visiting historical sites, so I'd do something of that nature.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: