Spotlight on Sloan Eisenring, 2L

Sloan Eisenring, 2L

Q. How did you spend your summer?
A. I spent my summer at home in California working as a paralegal for Bradford & Barthel, LLP, which is a worker's compensation law firm located in Tarzana, California.

Q. Where are you from?
A. I am from a small town in California called Palmdale. It is located in the northern part of Los Angeles County.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you?
A. Becoming a lawyer means using my degree to help as many people as I possibly can. I am not in this for the money. Of course, I want to be able to support myself, but my goal is to help people.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school?
A. I wish I would have known how much it would consume all of my time and really just how stressful law school would really be. I knew it would be tough, but I had no idea how much of my time it would require.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
A. I would have to say the helpfulness of all the professors. They really are awesome! I expected law professors to be mean and intimidating and thus far I have been pleasantly surprised.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience?
A. Law school has been completely different from any other school experience I have had. The biggest difference has been the fact that the days of going to class, listening to lectures, taking notes, barely studying, and yet still getting an 'A' are over. You have to work your tail off if you want to get those kind of grades in law school. I have honestly enjoyed the challenge. It means more knowing you have worked so hard for something.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why?
A. My favorite class thus far has been Contracts with Professor Ching. I really enjoyed having him as a Professor. I also was very surprised by how much I enjoyed learning about contracts in general. It is definitely a subject that is present in almost every area of law. It seems like everything nowadays involves some sort of contract.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. I have always been interested in Criminal Law, but after coming to law school, I am not really sure what I want to practice. I am praying about it and leaving that up to God. I know He'll direct me to wherever He wants me to be.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent?
A. My closest friends are fun and lighthearted. We don't take ourselves too seriously. Granted, we are serious about what we are doing here, but we know when to put the books away and take some time to just enjoy ourselves.

Q. How do you prefer to study?
A. I prefer to study alone in my room, outside at the park, or (and this is going to sound strange) in my car parked at Forest Lawn Cemetery. When I am studying I don't like distractions. I have found that these places provide me with the most productive study sessions.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A. My favorite book is The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. I have loved this book from the moment I read it because of the great determination illustrated by the main character, Santiago. Although the story has a tragic ending, he never gave up on his fight for the marlin.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse?
A. My favorite Bible verse is Psalm 139:16, "Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them." This verse helps me remember that God is in control of my life and He knows everything that has and will come to pass in my life. It reminds me to trust in Him. He knows His plan for me.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why?
A. I would meet with both my Grandmother and my Grams (who have both passed away) so I could share Regent with them and catch up with them on what I have been doing here.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A. I think lunch with Professor Stern would be interesting. Before taking Criminal Law with him at Regent I had taken it in undergrad and I expected this class to be similar. He has shed an entirely different light on the subject of Criminal Law! Not only that, Professor Stern just seems very knowledgeable as a person and I think it would be great to pick his ear over lunch.

Q. What kinds of extra curricular activities are you involved with?
A. I am currently the Vice President of Academic Affairs for the Hispanic Law Student's Association here at Regent.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A. If the weather was nicer I would spend the weekend at the beach lying in the sun reading. I love to read.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: