Spotlight on Patrick Thorman, 2L

Patrick Thorman, 2L
Q. Where are you from?
A. I am originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma. Most recently my family and I lived in Hallsville, Texas, a small town in East Texas, closer to Shreveport, Louisiana than Dallas.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you?
A. Being an advocate for the oppressed and the voiceless. Being a lawyer will provide me the opportunity to help others.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school?
A. Just what I was getting into. It is hard work, but very possible. The first few weeks of getting adjusted to law school were difficult. What was most difficult was going to law school after being out of school for so long and balancing school and family. Once you get a schedule down and get adjusted, it is not too bad.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
A. I knew about the spirit and the community, but I had no idea just how important that is to Regent, and how important that would be for us as a family. Recently, we experienced a serious family medical crisis, and the Regent community rallied around us to support and encourage us in the difficult time. I have no idea what we would have done had we been somewhere else.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience?
A.  College was so long ago. I guess the difference is the practical opportunities to help. Most clubs in college were just opportunities to hang out. At Regent, the clubs are about finding ways to connect to and benefit the school and community. For example, through the Center for Global Justice, I have had opportunities to actually make an impact.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why?
A. International Human Rights taught by Dean Brauch. It is a small class with good interaction, I am very interested in human rights, and the Dean is an awesome professor.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. I want to work with non-profit organizations working on human rights, preferably, with human trafficking or international religious freedom.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent?
A. I don't know what I would do without them. They are great friends. They encourage me when I'm down, lift me up in prayer, help me study (and pass my classes), and make me laugh. I have the best group of friends.

Q. How do you prefer to study?
A.  Mostly at the library in my carrel. I try to make it home for dinner with the family in the evenings, and then it's either back to the library or trying not to be too distracted studying at home.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A. The Cure for the Common Life by Max Lucado. It changed my life and is one of the reasons why I am at law school. It compares life to hitting a baseball or golf ball on the sweet spot. When we are doing something that God has made us passionate about and given us abilities to do that is when we fill the most fulfilled and will be the happiest.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse?
A. James 5:13-18. It is so important for us as a community to pray for each other. We have experience a miracle with how quickly our son has recovered from his surgery. The doctors have been amazed. We are not. We had the Regent community rally around us, praying for our son. God hears the prayers of His children.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why?
A. My great-grandmother. She was the first person that I was close to that I ever lost. It was several years ago, but I still miss her. Mostly, I want to know if she is proud of me.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A. Professor McKee. She is one amazing woman. She is highly intelligent, knows what's going on in the world, and will fire you up to get involved. She loves the students and will do what she can to help. Everyone should stop by her office for advice.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A. Spend one day at the beach and spend one day in Norfolk. I would start with taking the kids to the Virginia Zoo and end the day by watching the Admirals (hockey) or the Tides (baseball).

Q. Is there anything you would like future law students to learn?
A. Anyone who is weighing their law school options needs to take a close look at Regent. It is impossible to put a number or ranking on the community and spirit of Regent. We have experienced this first hand as a family. On top of that, the education I am getting is top notch.


Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: