Spotlight on Marques Goetsch, 2L


Marques Goetsch, 2L
Q. Where are you from?
A. I was born in San Francisco, CA and raised in Pensacola, FL, but I love the Commonwealth now that I have the pleasure of living here!

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you?
A. It means that I will have the necessary education to pursue the vocation that the Lord called me to pursue and the opportunity to serve others while I serve the Lord.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school?
A. Something in me wishes that the Lord would have revealed His will regarding what area of law I would practice, but I am glad that He did not because not knowing His will has grown my faith and forced me to pray accordingly.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
 A. I was not expecting those at the law school to be so supportive and encouraging of one another. The Regent Law family truly exemplifies brotherly love, and in a competitive atmosphere like law school, this is quite unique. I trust that it stems from the bond that the students and faculty have in Christ.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience?
A.  Although I knew that law school would be more demanding than college, I did not know the full extent of this until I experienced a normal work week at Regent. Another difference between college and law school is that I don't play nearly the same amount of basketball now as I did then.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why?
A.  Appellate Advocacy. It was a very challenging class, but it stretched me and gave me confidence in my advocacy skills. More than that, it built character. I have learned through that experience to enjoy the times that God stretches you. It might be painful in the process, but it is always worth it in the end. James 1:2-4

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A.  I don't know. I have always thought that I would end up in criminal law, but I am open to whatever the Lord has for me.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent?
A. Trustworthy. Hard-working. Encouraging. Life-long.

Q. How do you prefer to study?
A. I prefer to study at my carrel in the library, but if it gets too distracting there, I move to a study room. When I start to fall asleep in the study room, I go home to study at my desk. I usually try to study whenever I am not in class, at work, or at the gym. For me, it is not beneficial to study for more than three hours at a time without a break; so usually, my studying schedule has about a thirty minute break every few hours.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A.  Besides the Bible, my favorite would be a little book by the late great UCLA basketball coach John Wooden entitled Wooden: A Lifetime of Observations on and off the Court. In it, John Wooden lays out the best definition of success ever: 'Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.' Success is not measured in fame, money, or wins. It is measured in peace and contentment. This definition is quite similar to Paul's definition found in Philippians 3. The book is full of wisdom for athletes and non-athletes alike to help build character.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse?
A.  Philippians 1:6. ‘Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.’ This is a wonderful promise that I constantly think about during law school. The Lord is always working on me, and no matter the difficulties and trials that lie ahead, I know that the Lord is going to be faithful to me, and will see me through any difficulty.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why?
A. I would love to meet Abraham Lincoln. He is a man who fought through the fires of adversity and failure to become the President known for protecting the Union. In addition to that, he is perhaps the most intelligent President of all time. His ability to debate and to cut to the heart of any issue with a few words makes him incredibly intriguing to me.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A.  Professor Hernandez. He always challenges me mentally and spiritually, and we always have time to talk a little basketball!

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A.  I must say that my idea of the perfect weekend is the weekend spent with my fiancĂ©e. It doesn't matter what we are doing or where we are going in the Hampton Roads area.

Q. Is there anything else you would like your peers or future law students to learn about you?
A. If there is one thing that I have learned through my years at Regent Law, it is this: Be joyful when the Lord brings times of 'stretching' or 'growing' in your life. They might be painful now, but they always build your character, prepare you for what lies ahead, and help you grow closer to the Lord.


Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: