Spotlight on Rebecca Vermette (Knight), 3L



Rebecca Vermette (Knight)
Oral Roberts University
Major: International Relations, German
Q. Where are you from?
A. I am from Livermore, California. It's a beautiful little wine town east of San Francisco.

Q. How did you spend your summer?
A. This summer I am working in Washington, D.C. as a policy intern for the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute. I have the privilege of helping facilitate our Foster Youth Internship, which pairs young men and women who were formerly in foster care with Congressmen and women as summer interns, and I also help research and inform Congressional offices about adoption issues. Last summer I was with the Blackstone Legal Fellowship, which had valuable training and speakers, and through them I was able to work at the Center for Bioethics and Culture near my home.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you?
A. A lawyer is a problem solver. Lawyers have the joy of offering solutions and being advocates for clients during difficult times when things don't go as they're supposed to.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school?
A. Law school is a one-way road that is guaranteed to change you. It's a rewarding investment of time, money, and hard work. It will open many doors and permanently alter the way you think.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
A. I knew Regent would have a supportive community, but I was pleasantly surprised by the high expectations of the faculty and the excellent training in each class. It's been a challenging but rewarding road.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience?
A. Law school matures students into professionals. It's no longer an option to be late, to wait until the last minute, or to spend the majority of your time in social activities. That said, the feeling of truly learning, growing, and changing into a capable adult entering a distinguished profession is worthwhile.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why?
A. Constitutional Criminal Procedure—it made so many other classes come together into a holistic understanding of the law.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. I aspire to devote part of my practice to adoption law. Other areas I have interest in are immigration law, corporate law, and healthcare law.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent?
A. Our class is a wonderful group of diligent and friendly students, but my roommate the last two years--Kristy--has really been my support and my best friend here. We've had many adventures, tears, and victories.

Q. How do you prefer to study?
A. My favorite three study spots are my living room, Starbucks, and Panera. I spent so much time in the library my first year that I usually switch it up now. I prefer to make studying as fun as possible (think: chocolate chips and coffee) in order to make it easy to devote most of my day to it.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A. A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken is an amazing book based on a true story. It will forever mark you. There's also Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. It's a beautiful story of how love can change darkness, difficulty, and a broken past into a future with promise.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse?
A. Psalms 42 (the whole chapter), but especially verse 8: “the Lord will command His loving kindness in the daytime, and in the night His song shall be with me—a prayer to the God of my life.” That verse reminds me how God is with us at all times and in all seasons.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why?
A. Meeting the apostle Peter is on the top of my list. He made bumbling mistakes just as I do, and I would enjoy hearing his advice and stories from walking with the Lord.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A. Dean Brauch—he has a kind heart and great wisdom, and I trust him as a leader in our school.

Q. What kinds of extra-curricular activities are you involved with?
A. Over the course of law school, I have been on Law Review, involved with church and community group, played soccer with Regent students, been a student ambassador, worked for Kaplan, been on the leadership of the International Law Society, been in the Honors program, and planned my wedding (phew, that was a time commitment!).

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A. Depends on the season: I love to relax and run at the beach, but I hope to see the Cape Henry Lighthouse and the Hampton Roads Naval Museum at some point.

Q. Is there anything else you would like your peers or future law students to learn about you?
A. I'm an artist. I love to paint and to craft, and I hope to one day go to art school and make it as an artist.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: