Spotlight on Cortland Bobczynski, 2L

Cortland Bobczynski
University of California, San Diego
Major: History

Q. Where are you from? 
A. San Diego, California.

Q. How did you spend your summer? 
A. I will be spending a month at home and then I will be interning in Colorado Springs with Citizen Link, an affiliate organization with Focus on the Family. I will be doing research on Public Policy Issues.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you?
A. Becoming a lawyer means being an advocate for those who cannot speak for themselves. Jesus is the best advocate of all. He advocates on our behalf, because He knows we cannot do it ourselves. He speaks to the Father on our behalf. I desire to be an advocate for others like Jesus is our advocate.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school?
A. I wish I knew how to organize my life a little better. It took me a little while to get my life organized. Law school can be a bit overwhelming as far as academics and it can be difficult to balance aspects of law school with other parts of my life. It is hard to stay on top of my studies as well as doing basic tasks like grocery shopping, cleaning, or catching up socially. It would have been nice to have been mentally prepared for that.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
A. What surprises me about Regent is how much of a family it is like. Everyone is so friendly and so nice. People really care here. If you ever need it, people are always willing to pray with you!

Q. How is law school different from your college experience?
A. Well, I came from a very massive, secular college. I basically got lost in the masses of people running to their next class. So Regent is different from my college experience because it is much smaller and I have gotten to know much, if not most, of my class. Plus college is a bit easier than law school. I had a lot more time in undergrad than I do in law school.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why?
A. Probably, torts, because tort cases are pretty interesting. I especially enjoy cases dealing with intentional infliction of emotional distress. Those types of cases are colorful and quite entertaining. It is amazing to see what people can be capable of.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. Well, I would really love to do first amendment right issues like Christian freedom of expression and religious liberty. I would love to practice with the American Civil liberties and Justice.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent?
A. I love my group of friends here at Regent. We are family! That is really the best way to describe us. We are fun, spunky, silly, and just close.

Q. How do you prefer to study?
A. I like to study in a study room in the library with my classical music blaring through my head phones. I will typically do most of my work in the morning, between my classes, and in the afternoon. I like to get an early start on my day and enjoy my nights.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A. I love reading the Bible, of course! My favorite book besides that is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen because I love to vicariously live through Elizabeth Bennet. I think it is almost every girl’s dream to marry a British duke and live happily ever after. I am a big Jane Austen fan!

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse?
A. Philippians 4:13, “I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency.” I love this verse because it is Christ's strength that sustains me and gets me through each day!

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why?
A. Hands down it would be Jesus! I would love to spend a day and just ask Him everything that pops into my head! There are so many questions I would ask Him, but if I had to ask Him one, it would be, why does He love me so much?

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A. I think I might go to the mall. I don't think I have done that while I have been here!

Q. Is there anything else you would like your peers or future law students to learn about you?
A. I am a very silly individual! Being a law student doesn’t necessitate being serious all the time. I sometimes play with Barbies to re-enact tort and contract cases because they help me visualize what’s going on. Law school can be fun if you make it that way! My friends and I once built a fort in the library after spending hours doing work. It was a lot of fun! I love Regent and I love the people here!

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

1 comment:

Unknown said...


Very Informative! This blog is great source of information which is very useful for me. Thank you very much for sharing this!

attorneys colorado springs