Spotlight on Anna Ernest, 3L



Anna Ernest, 3L

Q. Where are you from?
A. I was born and raised in Rostov-on-Don, Southern Russia, and for the past six years I've lived in Virginia Beach.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you?
A. Fulfilling my life dream and making my parents proud. When I came to this country six years ago, I knew that even my biggest goals can be achieved with hard work and dedication. America is truly a unique country that provides opportunities for everyone, and I am proud to represent the American Dream.

Q. How did you spend your summer?
A. I interned at the Virginia Beach Commonwealth Attorney's Office where I tried over 50 cases by utilizing my Third-Year Practice Certificate.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school?
A.  I knew law school was going to be time consuming, but I did not realize the intensity of the work that I was going to have to do in addition to attending classes. At first, it was very hard to keep up with the 100+ page reading assignments, but then it got easier.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
A. The supreme quality of legal education and the eagerness of the faculty to help its students with problems. On more than one occasion I have sought the help of a faculty member and they have always gone out of their way to help. This kind of dedication to the students is not found often in universities.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience?
A. The Socratic method was entirely new to me. I completed my undergraduate studies in Russia where it was done in a traditional lecture-based way.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why?
A. I have learned so much from all of the classes, but my favorite so far has been Constitutional Criminal Procedure with Professor Velloney. Not only was this class very entertaining, but I am also fascinated by the cases we studied. They illustrate how the integrity of the American judicial system reaches the actual daily interactions of the government with its people.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. I am still undecided, but I do have an interest in criminal law, immigration law and estate planning.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent?
A. They are all very intelligent and hard-working. I enjoy the time we spend together outside of classes, as well as our study group time before finals.

Q. How do you prefer to study
A.
I prefer to study at home, but when I know I need a place without distractions I use my cubby in the law library. When the weather is nice I like to go to the beach to do my reading assignments there.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A. I can never get enough of classic Russian literature, such as Dostoevsky, Tolstoy or Pushkin. One of my recent favorites is the memoir of Jeannette Walls, Half Broke Horses. The main character's struggles in life and how she overcame them are very motivating for me.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse?
A. My favorite verse is Micah 6:8, which speaks for itself:
“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why?
A. I would love to be able to spend time with my Grandmother again. I loved going to her house in the countryside and spending time with her.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A. I would love to have lunch with Professor Kohm because I think she is a wonderful person and I would love to just sit and talk with her over lunch and tea.

Q. What kinds of extra curricular activities are you involved with?
A. Currently, I am serving as a Law School Senator for the Council of Graduate Students and as a President of the International Law Society. Previously, I served on the board of the Regent Journal of International Law and the Alternative Dispute Resolution. All of these student organizations at Regent are outstanding and have provided me with invaluable experience.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A. Go to the Beach!

Q. Is there anything else you would like your peers or future law students to learn about you?
A. I try to live my life following two simple principles: First, work hard to achieve your goals. Second, when you achieve your goals, work hard to be thankful.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: