Spotlight on Aaron Seymour, 2L

Aaron Seymour, 3L


Q. Where are you from?
A. San Antonio, Texas

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you?
A. Becoming a lawyer doesn't mean all that much to me, what it will enable me to do does. To me being a lawyer opens doors that would otherwise be closed to you. My heart is to fight for and protect others. This can be done in number of different ways. However, you can't advocate for others effectively in a court of law unless you have the skills to do that. Thus, a law degree is a critical piece to my "advocacy" puzzle.

Q. How did you spend your summer?
A. I spend the first few weeks of the summer researching and writing for a local organization that's combating human trafficking. The last ten weeks of the summer I worked for a human rights NGO that investigates abuses and advocates for victims of religious persecution in the Middle East.
Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school?
A. That eating 3+ cinnamon rolls from the Ordinary every week causes you to gain weight.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
A. The quality of the teaching. I've always felt as if my professors are experts in the subject matter they're teaching. Coming from a very large university that feeling was surprising and encouraging.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience?
A. In law school there's an "experience." I watched more TV when I was in college, and I certainly didn't spend weekends studying what I had already studied the week before!

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why?
A. Again, it's a tie. I absolutely love International Law with Professor Shaheryar-Gill and International Development and the Rule of Law with Professor Farkish.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. I would love to work for an organization, governmental or not, that investigates and prosecutes different forms of organized crime, essentially any enterprise that engages in the traffic of sex, drugs, guns, or money.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent?
A. Amazing. Friendship is an integral part of the law school experience here.

Q. How do you prefer to study?
A. Typically in my office. I have 23" monitor that I plug my lap top into, which makes side-by-side viewing of multiple documents/articles quite enjoyable. I study in four-hour blocks. Anything less is too short. Anything longer and I start to experience diminished returns.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A. The Weight of Glory by C.S. Lewis - It's unique collection of essays that Lewis produced, many of them reflecting the war-time psyche and its effect on the Christian walk. His words are persistently relevant to the challenges of today.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why?
A. It's tie between C.S. Lewis and George Washington. I can't pick just one, sorry. Lewis's writing on the Christian journey resonates with my soul. I'm convinced we're going to be home-boys in heaven (not unlike millions of others). G.W.'s vision for our country, his application of leadership, and continual focus on God is model for all men and women.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A. Professor DeGroff. He's a man that truly loves the Lord. You can see it in his devotions and the way he conducts himself in the classroom. Interactions with Professor DeGroff never feel scripted, but always feel authentic. That's hard to find in today's social networked world.

Q. What kinds of extra curricular activities are you involved with?
A. Captain of our 2L football team!
Law Clerk with the American Center for Law and Justice.
Graduate Assistant for Professor Kathleen McKee.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A. I'd like spend time reading a good book on the beach.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: