Spotlight on Jennifer Brown, 1L

Jennifer Brown, 1L
Q. Where are you from? 
A. I was born in Miami and was raised there until I turned 10, when my mother moved us to Virginia. I lived in Harrisonburg, Virginia for 19 years before moving back to Miami the day after Katrina touched down. I thought that I would spend the rest of my life in Miami, now here I am back in Virginia.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you? 
A. First, it means finally fulfilling my life-long dream. Second, it means that I will finally be able to put a lot of my pent up energy to use in helping those who cannot defend themselves. I have a passion for the arts and an equal passion for volunteering, so if I can somehow combine those two and get paid for it, that would be even better. I know that a lot of my entertainer friends find it difficult to be Christians in the entertainment field and not be prejudiced against because they refuse to take on certain roles or perform certain scenes. It is tough to be an entertainer, especially in this economy, but it is even harder when a chance finally does arise and it goes against your morals and beliefs.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school? 
A. A lot more about the law. All kidding aside, I have extensive knowledge about the legal field since I was employed with a solo practitioner in Harrisonburg, Virginia and then a large boutique firm in Coral Gables, Florida. I also have many friends who are lawyers, all of which immediately asked me why I wanted to do such a crazy thing as become a lawyer and then went on to tell me the horrors that would await me. So far the only horrors I have run across are the exams.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent? 
A. What surprised me most about Regent was how incredible the professors truly are. I had read the literature prior to applying, and read reviews online, but it really did not make a complete impact until I experienced it firsthand. The fact that my lawyer friends would tell me they barely ever saw their professors was at first disheartening upon arriving through Regent’s doors, but the fact that the professors make themselves so accessible is amazing and a huge relief. It is also good so that they know my name when they see me camped out in front of their doors.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience? 
A. Oh let me count the ways. Undergrad was awful. I made it through but was unhappy about my experience. It was not what I expected at all. Grad School was much better. The professors were just like the ones here at Regent. They were incredibly helpful, accessible and accommodating, especially since I was working full-time, I was the PR Director for a non-profit, I was performing in a musical revue, two plays, and was singing, acting and directing worship services at my church, all in the same year! Needless to say, we all made it through fairly unscathed minus my sprained foot. Yes, I was on crutches during that whirl-wind life-style.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why? 
A. I really enjoy all of my classes, but I would have to say that my favorite class is Property, followed by Contracts and Civil Procedure. (Sorry Professor Duane!) I guess I find Property interesting just because I have dealt with property issues for years now helping my mother with the renters in our house in Miami. I also worked in a law firm in Miami that specialized in Condominium and Homeowners Associations, so we dealt a lot with different types of property issues.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation? 
A. My goal is to become an entertainment lawyer. That has been my dream, but I also have a passion for animals and non-profits, and since Animal Law is becoming more popular I may start looking more into that field as well.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent? 
A. Well, they are all crazy for one. We are in law school. We have to be a little crazy, right? I would have to say eclectic. Since we all come from different backgrounds, it makes for a wonderful potpourri of personalities. What is also nice is that we have not gotten sick of each other after hours and hours of studying together. That is what true friendship is made of.

Q. How do you prefer to study?
A. It depends. I normally study better solo. Always have. But, I like to bounce questions and thoughts off of others to make sure that I am still on the same page. This is one thing I had to learn last semester, to adapt to a study group environment. However, most of the time I need to be holed up in my apartment just me and my work for hours at a time, until my brain just stops.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why? 
A. Anything by John Grisham. I know, sounds like a typical law student, but I just can’t help myself. Whenever I see a Grisham, I have to read it, although, I have to admit that I have not been able to read the last few due to school. Imagine that.

Q. What is your favorite bible verse? In what way does it speak to you or inspire you? 
A. There are so many, but the two that really speak to me are Philippians 4: 6-7, 13, and Jeremiah 29:11. The verses in Philippians are especially appropriate now that I am in law school. However, they have always rung true throughout my life. And the Jeremiah verse tends to go hand-in-hand with the Philippians verses. Whenever, I start to feel anxious about what I am doing with my life, or if I am doing the right thing, these verses remind me to not be anxious because God is in control. He knows what is best for me, and I just need to let go and let Him guide my path.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why? 
A. Easy one. Jesus. Just to have the opportunity to sit and listen to his teachings and wisdom would take my breath away. When I read about how those who were able to be near him and listen to him, yet chose not to, I envy their opportunity but pity their foolishness. To have the opportunity to be near God would be an experience like no other.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why? 
A. Pat Roberston. I find him to be the most interesting and hilarious person, outside of my professors, of course. I would just like to listen to his story of how he became the person he is today and hear about his trials and tribulations throughout his journey. What a wonderful man of God! And with such intelligence, humility and grace. I would like to have the opportunity to just glean a little of that, so that I may somehow try to emulate that in my own life.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area? 
A. You mean to tell me that there is life outside of Regent? Kidding. I would just like to take the time to explore my surroundings. I have not had the chance to do that. I know where the malls are. That is very important. I would like to go horseback riding on the beach, go to a local theater to see a performance, visit a museum or two, just explore what little gems are hidden in this area.

Q. Is there anything else you would like your peers or future law students to learn about you? 
A. I have experienced a lot and I have accomplished a lot in my life, but I won’t expand on that here. I would rather save those topics for more personal and meaningful conversations.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: