Spotlight on Incoming 1L Brittany Jones

Brittany Jones
Hometown: Pineville, Louisiana
Undergraduate School: Louisiana College
Major: History
 
Q. If you could only tell the Regent Law community one thing about yourself, what would it be? 
A. I am a very passionate person who does everything with great vigor and focus. I am also a compulsive planner. Sometimes, I have to slow down and remember to enjoy the moments and the people God has placed in my life. I am really looking forward to learning and growing with all of you.

Q. Which events in your life and personal/professional goals brought you to law school? 
A. Since the age of seven, I have been interested in politics and government; however, I dreaded the idea of going to law school even though I knew God was calling me in that direction. During my second year of college, my school went through a controversy, and I realized how important it is for me to understand the law and stand for truth in the midst of confusion. I still was not happy about the idea of law school, but I had a peace. Last summer, I interned at the Family Research Council. I worked with some wonderful constitutional lawyers who showed me how fun the law could be.

Q. How did you know that Regent Law is the right law school for you? 
A. Close family friends moved near the school when I was in high school and kept hinting that I should come to school at Regent. I knew for certain when I visited a second time and met with Dean Brauch. I had been praying that the Lord would make it clear to me, and the warm, friendly environment won me over!

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you? 
A. It is the next step on the journey that God has placed me on and will allow me to continue growing and learning. Also, it is important for my family because I will be the first one on either side of my family to earn more than a bachelor’s degree.

Q. How will you spend your last summer before law school? 
A. I am working at a law firm in my hometown and spending time with my family.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation? 
A. Constitutional law.

Q. What is your favorite book and why? 
A. I believe this is literally the most difficult question ever asked! I will attempt to limit myself to just two! The book that has perhaps had the most impact on my political and legal career is Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery by Eric Metaxas. I read this book as a freshman in high school as I struggled to understand how to mold my vocational calling with my Christian faith. Wilberforce’s persistence in his calling and devotion to God gave me a vision of how I desire to live my life. The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis has also influenced me personally because it has helped me analyze habits and beliefs that I was unaware of that were separating me from Christ. It also helped understand the sheer beauty and glory of our Savior.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse? 
A. Isaiah 40:28-31: “Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth does not become weary or tired. His understanding is inscrutable. He gives strength to the weary, And to him who lacks might He increases power. Though youths grow weary and tired, And vigorous young men stumble badly, Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary.”

Q. You have a rare weekend in which nothing is on your schedule. What will you do with the free time? 
A. Read, bake something scrumptious, go for a run or to the gym, or hang with my family or one of the families I babysit for.

No comments: