Spotlight on Incoming 1L Lindsey Gilman


Q. If you could only tell the Regent Law community one thing about yourself, what would it be? 
A. I am one of those people who can’t stop talking about her passion once she finds it. My passion truly propels who I am. I am blessed to have a family that wholeheartedly embraces this attitude and mindset.

Hometown: Scottsdale, Arizona
Undergraduate School: Arizona State University, Barrett Honors College
Major: History/Justice Studies


Q. Which events in your life and personal/professional goals brought you to law school? 
A. I have wanted to be a lawyer for at least 10 years. During my senior year of high school, I realized that I was supposed to embark on a legal career, not knowing exactly what that path meant at the time. I have an instinct to fight for those who need a voice. While I could still fight for the voiceless without a law degree, this is the path that God has chosen for me.

Q. How did you know that Regent Law is the right law school for you? 
A. After visiting the school during the Preview Event, I knew that Regent is where I am supposed to attend law school. Regent’s faculty, vision, general atmosphere, and picturesque landscape embody what I always believed a law school should encompass. If I get emotional about something, I can assure you it’s always God tugging at my heart. Also, I was given the privilege to speak with Dr. Sekulow over the phone when I was still unsure of where to attend law school. The call left me with no doubt that Regent’s principles align with my own.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you? 
A. It means so much to me. I want to leave a legacy and provide an example to fellow Christians who feel law is their calling. I also want to do my part in expanding God’s kingdom on earth by being a Christian attorney. Ultimately, becoming a lawyer will enable me to further the Godly principles that I hold so dear.

Q. How will you spend your last summer before law school? 
A. I will be working a lot, spending time with friends and family (who I will miss dearly when I move), and reading as many novels as possible before law books become my go-to read.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. I do not know for sure at this point because I have many interests. First, I love learning about criminal law (at least the little that I was exposed to in my undergraduate career), so a career as a prosecutor and/or a lawyer for the FBI have sparked my interest for a while now. I am fascinated by the insanity defense and the manner in which it brings together both psychiatry and law. Second, going back to my desire to fight for those who need a voice, I greatly admire the American Center for Law and Justice and their admirable defense of the Constitution, an act that must be done. In a perfect world, I would practice in both areas.

Q. What is your favorite book and why? 
A. As an avid reader, this is an incredibly hard question. Two books that immediately come to mind are David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell and Angel of Death Row by Andrea Lyon, who is a death row defense lawyer in Chicago. Both works shed light on the power of the underdog and why it is wise to root for them. I am always amazed at how people intuitively favor the underdog but relentlessly follow the top dogs. I aspire to emulate Lyon’s work ethic, success (she’s never lost a case), and her ability to view every defendant as a human being no matter how heinous the crime.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse? 
A. It is difficult to pick a favorite, but Proverbs 31:8-9 comes to mind: “Open your mouth for the mute, For the rights of all the unfortunate. Open your mouth, judge righteously, And defend the rights of the afflicted and needy.” These verses really speak to me, and as an attorney, I will turn to them for comfort and justification.

Q. You have a rare weekend in which nothing is on your schedule. What will you do with the free time? 
A. I would probably spend time at the shooting range, try out a new coffee shop with friends, and take some moments to reflect on my walk with God. I might as well go all out and spend time at the spa too!

Q. Is there anything else you would like your peers to learn about you? 
A. I love animals and spending (probably too much) time with my pets. I feel that the manner in which one treats animals is a direct representation of his or her character.

No comments: