Spotlight on Angela Desmond, 3L

Angela Desmond, 3L
Undergrad: Drexel University
Major: Psychology
Minor: Paralegal Studies

Q. Where are you from? A. Wallingford, Pennsylvania (Just south of Philadelphia).

Q. How did you spend your summer? 
A. The summer after my first year of law school I interned at Legal Aid in Norfolk. Last summer, I took classes and spent time traveling and visiting with family and friends.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you? 
A. Since I was very young I have always wanted to do something with my life that would allow me to help other people. The legal profession is a good way to accomplish that goal, but being a lawyer is much more than that. It can mean bringing hope into someone’s life or being the good thing among all the bad going on.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school? 
A. That the Virginia Bar Application requires you to report a whole bunch of things including a great deal of places you have worked. If you know what state you would like to practice in when you graduate, make sure to look at the application and character and fitness form ahead of time so you don’t get overwhelmed by it. And remember, you can get it done. Just take it step by step.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent? 
A. The people. I knew Regent was a Christian university but the quality of the people still amazes me. Everyone is extremely friendly and always willing to help in whatever way they can.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience? 
A. At my undergraduate institution people were always focused on themselves and on what their weekends were going to entail. Law school is much more serious. Everyone is here for a reason and “has their head in the game” for the most part. Also, people are usually willing to lend a hand to help others.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why? 
A. I took Family Law with Professor Mulford my 2L year. Family law is my favorite area of law and Professor Mulford provided a thorough look into the issues family law encompasses while being candid and realistic in providing real world examples.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation? 
A. Ideally, I would like to work for Legal Aid or a non-profit organization helping to provide legal services to those who are less fortunate.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent? 
A. Well rounded. I have friends from all different backgrounds with extremely different personalities, but we get along very well.

Q. How do you prefer to study? 
A. I don’t have one set place or time for studying. It really depends on the circumstances. If I’m studying with a study group we see what is the best place and most convenient time for everyone. When I study alone it’s usually in my apartment because I feel bad leaving my dog alone for too long.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A. Oh the Places You’ll Go! by Dr. Seuss. I gave a copy of the book to my best friend at her college graduation from the University of Pennsylvania because, although it is a children’s book, it has a very inspirational message that the world holds endless possibilities.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse? 
A. My favorite bible verse is 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why? 
A. It would probably be Harriet Tubman or someone else that played a huge role in the Underground Railroad. It would be amazing to meet such a courageous person and be able to ask them questions about the experiences they had. They probably couldn’t imagine at the time that their actions would be so inspirational and have such an impact on the country.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why? 
A. Dean Brauch. Even though the Law School has many students, Dean Brauch always says hello and asks how I am. It is obvious that he genuinely cares about each and every student in the Law School.

Q. What kinds of extra-curricular activities are you involved with? 
A. I am the Marshal and Recruitment Chair of the George Washington Chapter of the Phi Alpha Delta Fraternity (PAD), a 3L Representative of the Republican National Lawyers Association Law Student Chapter (RNLA), and an Alumni Member of Delta Zeta International Sorority.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area? 
A. The beach would definitely be on the top of my list. I love going to the beach and sitting there all day when the weather permits.

Q. Is there anything else you would like your peers or future law students to learn about you? 
A. I absolutely love the Philadelphia Eagles and have an amazing little beagle named Mona who came into my life the Thanksgiving of my first year of law school.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: