Spotlight on Emerald Frierson, 3L

Emerald Frierson, 3L
University of Southern Indiana
Major: International Studies (Emphasis in International Relations)
Q. Where are you from? 
A. Peru, Indiana.

Q. How did you spend your summer?
A. I spent this last summer taking two summer classes, Negotiations and Advanced Legal Research and Writing. My 1L summer I spent interning remotely with an attorney in Orlando, Florida, doing research for domestic violence based asylum cases.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you? 
A. To me it means helping people to the best of my ability by taking law theoretically and making it practical.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school? 
A. I wish I had known the intensity that was meant when people said law school was “hard.”

Q. What surprised you most about Regent? 
A. The professors really do strive for the success of their students.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience? 
A. There is always the rigor of the work, generally, but I think the comradery at Regent is at a different level. Perhaps that is due to the nature of being at a smaller school.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why? 
A. I’d have to say my favorite class so far has been Immigration with Professor Valverde due to my interest in the area and the fact that he taught the course from a practical perspective.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation? 
A. I haven’t figured that out yet. I always thought that I would find myself in the area of International Law, but many classes in law school have gained my interest.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent? 
A. Unconventional and I love it.

Q. How do you prefer to study? 
A. My favorite place to study is in a park near Regent’s campus. It’s quiet and has beautiful scenery. I usually go there between my classes and sit for hours reading or working on note cards.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why? 
A. My favorite book is The Giver by Lois Lowry. I think it portrays how reality is hidden in fantasy. Eventually, we all have to break from our fantasies and live reality.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse?
A. Psalm 82:6, “I said, ‘You are 'gods'; you are all sons of the Most High." Not necessarily my favorite of all time, but it is the one that is speaking to me right now in my life. Too often, I think, we forget to be better to ourselves, physically, emotionally, and psychologically.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why? 
A. Malcolm X because a great man doesn’t get assassinated for no reason.

Q. What kinds of extra-curricular activities are you involved with? 
A. I am a member and acting Vice-Chair of the Black Law Students Association (BLSA), a student member of the South Hampton Roads Bar Association, and a student representative for Barbri. Currently, I'm using my third year practice certificate to work on cases for the Civil Litigation Clinic.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: