Spotlight on Donnie Gayle, 3L

Donnie Gayle, 3L
College of Charleston
Major: International Business
Q. Where are you from? 
A. I was born and raised in Norfolk, VA.

Q. How did you spend your summer? 
A. I spent my summer as a summer associate with Rawls, McNelis, & Mitchell, P.C. They are a small law firm and deal specifically with complex medical malpractice issues.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you? 
A. To me becoming a lawyer means being a dedicated advocate for my clients and their interests.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school? 
A. Proper time management. When I was in college it was easy to balance classes and my social life, however, with law school it has been a challenge. It takes a bit to work out the kinks during first semester 1L year, but you eventually get there.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent? 
A. I was surprised most by how genuinely concerned professors are with student learning and understanding of the material.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience? 
A. The workload is significantly more demanding in law school. In college I was guilty of usually writing my papers the night before. After the first LARW assignment, I could never imagine starting it the night before.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why? 
A. That's a tough one. I'd have to say Virginia Procedure with Professor Madison. I plan on being a civil litigator and have found the class to be very helpful.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation? 
A. I hope to practice medical malpractice after graduation. The cases are complex and interesting.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent? 
A. Unique would be the best way to describe them. While we all have a desire to be successful, everyone has his or her own way of doing things.

Q. How do you prefer to study? 
A. In preparation for exams I prefer to do about 2/3 of my studying alone and then spend the rest of the time brainstorming/reviewing with my study group.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why? 
A. That's a hard choice, but I'd probably say the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The books tell such a great story about the struggle between good and evil.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse? 
A. 2 Timothy 4:7, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith.” I attempt to live my life by this verse every day.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why? 
A. George Washington. I have great respect and admiration for his role in the founding of our country.

Q. What kinds of extra-curricular activities are you involved with? 
A. I am on the Trial Advocacy Board and work part time at Rawls, McNelis, & Mitchell.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area? 
A. I would probably go deep sea fishing during the day and finish up with a late dinner at Doumar's.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: