Spotlight on Katherine David, 2L

Katherine David, 2L
Virginia Tech
Major: English
Minor: Political Science, Leadership & Social Change

Q. Where are you from?
A. I am from Northern Virginia, specifically Leesburg, Virginia.

Q. How did you spend your summer? 
A. This summer I interned with the Honorable Deborah M. Paxon at the Virginia Beach Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court. I also spent the end of my summer interning at the law firm of David, Brody & Dondershine in Northern Virginia.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you? 
A. I strongly endorse Regent’s motto that states, “Law is more than a profession. It’s a calling.” To me becoming an attorney means advocating on behalf of another individual, requiring both determination and diligence to represent the client to the best of my ability.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school? 
A. Before law school, I wish I had enjoyed my free time more! I am the type of person who always wants to be doing something, but once my first year of law school began, that something was always studying.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent? 
A. I was most surprised by the encouraging and friendly environment that welcomed all of the first year students into the community, including the upperclassmen and faculty. While law school is competitive in nature, at Regent you are going to meet people who truly care about your future as an attorney and those that will do everything within their power to help you on your path to success.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience? 
A. I graduated from Virginia Tech and had the time of my life; I was involved in anything and everything as extra-curricular activities filled the majority of my time. In contrast, during my first year of law school, studying took up most of my time and the idea of ample free time was no longer a reality.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why? 
A. My favorite class my first year was Civil Procedure. Professor Duane is one of the most brilliant and entertaining professors; he has the ability to make a seemingly otherwise dull topic appear somewhat interesting to say the least. He has a passion for teaching and exhibits a true and genuine concern for our well-being as Christian attorneys. Additionally, while his exams are difficult, I am confident that I will now be prepared for the Civil Procedure portion of the Bar Exam!

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation? 
A. I am currently interested in practicing Family Law as I have always had a special desire to serve children in some capacity; I am very interested in learning more about practicing as a Guardian Ad Litem, an attorney that represents the best interests of the child.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent? 
A. The group of my closest friends here at Regent has the perfect balance between work and fun. I am so grateful for the friends I have met here!

Q. How do you prefer to study?
A. I prefer to study in the law library at my carrel while listening to the Pandora classical music station. I do most of my studying in the evening with coffee nearby for those late nights during finals.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why? 
A. Although I don’t really have a favorite book of all time, during my first year of law school, I became very appreciative of any and all types of study aids.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse? 
A. My favorite scripture is Jeremiah 29:11; “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’” This is a constant reminder that God has a perfect plan for my life and despite the stresses and uncertainties that life may bring, the Lord is faithful.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member, administrator, or alumni from Regent who would it be and why? 
A. I would share lunch with Mrs. Ashleigh Chapman, a Regent Law alumni who previously worked as the Administrative Director of the Global Center Justice, Human Rights, and the Rule of Law. Mrs. Chapman has used her law degree to impact the lives of individuals around the globe by reaching out to truly oppressed people that desperately need advocates. I am so inspired by her ability to use her law degree and be a world changer.

Q. What kinds of extra-curricular activities are you involved with? 
A. During my first year, I served as an intern in the Global Center for Justice and as a Student Ambassador. This year I am a staffer for the Journal of Law and Public Policy and an Associate Member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Board.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area? 
A. If I had an entire weekend available, I would spend my time at the beach and enjoy concerts on the boardwalk. The great thing about this area is that there is always something fun to do within the community.

Q. Is there anything else you would like your peers or future law students to learn about you? 
A. I am a Redskins fan, a Virginia Tech Hokie for life, and although I am no expert, I would be happy to talk to anyone who is interested in learning more about studying the law at Regent.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: