Spotlight on Meredith Martin, 3L

Meredith Martin, 3L
Virginia Tech
Major: History



Q. Where are you from? 
A. The Northern Neck of Virginia.

Q. How did you spend your summer? 
A. I have worked for the Norfolk Public Defenders Office for the past two summers. This summer I have my third-year practice certificate, so I’m able to try misdemeanors and misdemeanor appeals in court.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you? 
A. Being a lawyer means helping people who can't afford legal counsel. I have been so fortunate in terms of family support that I feel compelled to help those who have not been as fortunate.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school? 
A. Buckle up and get ready, because it's about to be a long, bumpy ride! I was fortunate enough to be able to coast through college, but law school is definitely an academic challenge. The first year was the most difficult—reading cases was very unfamiliar as well as uncomfortable, and I never knew whether I was doing enough studying. There is good news: 2L year second semester, all downhill!

Q. What surprised you most about Regent? 
A. I was definitely surprised by everyone’s kindness.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience? 
A. Law school is much more academically challenging than my undergrad experience; however, there's a much greater sense of camaraderie in law school. This is probably attributable to the fact that Regent is a Christian university, and that Regent’s law school is much smaller than my undergraduate institute.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why? 
A. That's tough because all of my professors have been so great! However, evidence has been the most applicable to criminal defense, which is what I intend to practice after graduation. Also, Professor Duane was an excellent professor. I have only good things to say about him!

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation? 
A. This one is easy. Criminal Defense. I find criminal law fascinating and love the trial process as well as being in court. Most importantly, however, is that my job will entail finding the good in those whom society deems to be abhorrent. Although I borrowed this from a Public Defender, I believe it summarizes my beliefs almost perfectly.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent? 
A. I have a very eclectic group of friends, so they are hard to describe; but as I said previously, everyone at Regent is very kind.

Q. How do you prefer to study? 
A. It depends. The closer in proximity to exams, the longer I study. Generally, I'm a night studier and prefer to study at my apartment rather than the library.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why? 
A. This is a tough question too! Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. It is a memoir of McCourt's life growing up as an Irish Catholic. My grandma is a very proud Irish Catholic, so I like to think that I'm reading about our heritage when reading memoir’s by Frank McCourt.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse? 
A. Luke 14:12-14: “[W]hen you give a banquet, invite the poor . . . [a]nd you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.” These words reaffirm my desire to be a Public Defender and help members of the community.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why? 
A. Abraham Lincoln, because he embodies equality; I regard equality as one of the highest virtues. Also, I’d like to inquire about all of the tumult associated with the Antebellum period.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why? 
A. Pat Robertson, because the only time he's ever seen me was during my 1L year when I was late for class with my hair dripping wet, and wearing shabby clothes. Not the best first impression, so I'd like to redeem myself.

Q. What kinds of extra-curricular activities are you involved with? 
A. Moot Court, Student Ambassador, and soon-to-be Tidewater Striders, which is a running group.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area? 
A. Play on the beach and try new restaurants!

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: