Spotlight on Brittany Wrigley, 3L

Brittany Wrigley, 3L
Moody Bible Institute (Chicago, IL)
Major: Bible with an Emphasis in Women's Ministry

Q. Where are you from?
A. Newfane, New York.

Q. How did you spend your summer?
A. I did some research for a local firm regarding employment law and spent the majority of my summer interning with a branch of the Department of Justice here in Norfolk.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you?
A. Being a lawyer will afford me unique opportunities to serve others- I'm not exactly sure what those opportunities will be, but I know the knowledge I'm gaining in law school will open a lot of doors for me in the future.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school?
A. I wish I knew that everything would be okay! I spent the entire first year thinking I was going to get academic dismissal, but I worked hard and prayed for a lot of grace, and everything has been fine. Tough, but fine.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
A. I was surprised at how kind my peers are, and at their general willingness to help each other. A lot of us have had some really difficult things happen with family or friends while we're at school, and I'm always amazed at the way the students rally around one another and help each other. I think that's one of my favorite things about this school, and shows the character of the students.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience?
A. It is much more work, but more rewarding as well. Law school can be brutal- especially during exam weeks- but I think I really learned the material thoroughly (hopefully!), and then was able to put a lot of it into use during internships. I didn't have the same experience during undergrad; it was much easier to do well.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why?
A. I have so many it's hard to pick one. I loved Constitutional Law and feel like I am constantly remembering cases we read. I learned a ton during that class. I also love torts because there are fun cases to read and re-enact.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. No clue. I'm rolling with the punches. However, I am interested in Elder Law after taking it with Professor Kohm this year.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent?
A. Studious when necessary, but light-hearted when someone needs a break from the stress.

Q. How do you prefer to study?
A. Is this a trick question? I like studying at a particularly quiet spot at the library when I'm already at school, but I'm afraid if I tell where it is, it won't work out anymore. If I don't have classes I like to stay at home, or sometimes go to Cafe Moka. I prefer to study in short, focused blocks of time, and I usually take evenings and parts of the weekends off, so I try to be very diligent with my study times.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo because it's a beautiful story.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse?
A. Proverbs 3: 5-6: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” This is my favorite verse because it gives me hope when my own understanding is failing me, and reminds me where to fix my eyes. It has brought me untold peace in my 26 years, and I'm sure it will continue to do so in the future.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why?
A. LeBron James- I'd like to challenge him to a dunking contest.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A. Professor Wagner- I could ask him a question about a Supreme Court decision and then just sit, eat, and soak in the Wagner Wisdom!

Q. What kinds of extra-curricular activities are you involved with?
A. I played flag football my first year and was involved with Regent's IJM chapter. I started working during my second semester at school and have been working ever since, as a Graduate Assistant for two of my professors and the Admissions office. I really enjoy working during law school- it provides good balance. I also am the ABA Secretary. I teach the LSAT prep course and tutor. Outside of school I play piano at church and am a member of our missions committee.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A. I’d like to go to Busch Gardens Friday, the botanical gardens Saturday, and the beach on Sunday.

Q. Is there anything else you would like your peers or future law students to learn about you?
A. I got married this summer and my husband has been such a wonderful support to me during school! It's a huge blessing to have him, my family and close friends, and my dog, Isabelle, cheering me up and onward through school. I'd encourage students not to just isolate themselves during school, but invest in the relationships you have and the service opportunities God puts in your path while you're a student- don't buy into the mentality that you'll get around to serving or building relationships when you have more time- life's always busy!

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: