Spotlight on Brandon Wrobleski, 1L

Brandon Thomas Wrobleski
Liberty University
Major: Government (Politics and Policy)
Q. Where are you from?
A. Milton, Georgia, about an hour north of Atlanta.

Q. How did you spend your summer?
A. I will be spending my summer as an intern with the Virginia Beach Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court and hopefully with a job on campus!

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you?
A. Becoming a lawyer means becoming a servant to the community, regardless of whether you end up in solo practice, a firm, a public defender's office, or with a corporation. To perform legal services is such a unique undertaking that a majority of people cannot do it themselves. I treat my journey toward that end with seriousness, but I remain joyful as I develop my ability to meet such a specific need.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school?
A. I wish I had known that, like the points in Whose Line is it Anyway?, the factual background of all these cases you read doesn't matter. It distracted me in my first semester. It's all about the analysis and how you can apply the principles you glean from the cases to new facts. I also wish I had known that it is no longer “uncool” to spend Friday nights in the library.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
A. The atmosphere of collegiality continues to pleasantly surprise me. The legal world is portrayed as cutthroat and unforgiving, but that's not the case at Regent. I am thankful for the many amazing friends I've met here.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience?
A. College is still very fresh for me, having just graduated in May 2012. In law school, everybody is as singularly driven as you are. There are no more classmates who rolled out of bed and came to class in sweatpants. Everybody is as passionate as you are about learning, and it makes for a very conducive academic environment.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why?
A. Professor Madison's Civil Procedure, hands down. If you find yourself unable to pay attention in his class, you probably don't have a heartbeat. He makes a potentially mundane topic very relevant and easy to learn.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. It is constantly changing, but I'm leaning toward a career in criminal prosecution. My experience in the recent Intramural Trial Advocacy Competition, which my team won, helped cement my interest in criminal law.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent?
A. It's an amazing group. Seven or eight of us usually get together outside of school once a week and have dinner or just relax and talk about anything but the law. I have made some of the most encouraging and loyal friends at Regent, and I am truly thankful for the balance they bring to my life.

Q. How do you prefer to study?
A. I'm indecisive when it comes to study habits. I can work on my objective memo until midnight in the library, but I also like to sit in the middle of my living room floor and do my class reading in smaller chunks.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A. Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell taught me that the world's foremost professionals in various fields have attained that status by putting in 10,000+ hours of practice. I want to be one of those professionals.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse?
A. 2 Corinthians 5:17 is a life verse of sorts for me. It says so much about how when I came to know Christ, I took on a whole new form in God's eyes, even though I am still the same Brandon I was before. The verse speaks about the old being gone and the new coming, and I'm thankful that God now looks at me as if my old ways had never happened. Even though I had been aimlessly pursuing my sinful tendencies for over 19 years, God chose to forget that chunk of my life because the redemption of Christ is sufficient. How neat is that?

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why?
A. Sunday School answer: Jesus, so I could learn how he treated people with love, indiscriminately. Real answer: Ronald Reagan, a role model of mine for his effective and unifying leadership.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A. Pat Robertson, obviously! I had a chance to shake his hand at the barbecue in the fall, but I'd love the chance to benefit from his wisdom one-on-one, as would any sensible classmate of mine.

Q. What kinds of extra-curricular activities are you involved with?
A. I'm involved with intramural basketball (2013 League Champions!!!!), Themis Bar Review as a campus representative, the Regent Law Federalist Society, and the American Bar Association Student Division.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A. Besides sleep in? I'd go play nine holes of golf somewhere in Virginia Beach in the morning, then adjourn to the oceanfront for the rest of the day.

Q. Is there anything else you would like your peers or future law students to learn about you?
A. My fellow and future classmates should know that I am a die-hard fan of The Ohio State University and Buckeye sports because I make good life choices.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: