Spotlight on Marcus Wood, 1L



Marcus Wood, 1L
Texas Tech University
Major: Business Administration Management

Q. Where are you from?
A. Andrews, Texas.

Q. How do you intend to spend this summer?
A. This summer I intend to work for the American Center for Law and Justice and will also be clerking for a judge in Texas.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you?
A. A lawyer is equipped to reconcile differences between opposing parties and is often in a position to influence the influencers. This role is a high calling.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school?
A. It should not be your goal to learn all the law, but rather learn to think like a lawyer no matter what type of law you are learning because you will most likely be doing this for the rest of your life.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
A. I expected students to be different, because of Regent’s strong commitment to Christian principles, but I was still surprised to see the spirit of cooperation that existed between 1L's, the other students, and alumni.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience?
A. I get to journey through law school with my own family. I have learned that spending a little time with one or both of my daughters helps get me through the hours of study.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why?
A. Every professor is teaching what they think is be most important class in law school, so they make them all quite enjoyable. I have enjoyed seeing how they all begin to overlap. Contracts has been a favorite for me so far.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. In the future, I hope to practice International Business and Mediation.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent?
A. A group that you would have never imagined hanging out that have come together for a common goal. One thing that we all agree on is Mexican food makes for the best lunch break.

Q. How do you prefer to study?
A. I think too much study of the law before going to bed is the number one cause for nightmares or insomnia. I leave my studying for the morning and spread out over my day. The library is where I spend most of my time studying at my hand picked study carrel.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A. The Bible, because it is the only book with power.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse?
A. John 1:14, “The Word became flesh.” This captures the extent of how far Christ was willing to go for us. We should follow his example of self-sacrifice.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why?
A. Putting aside the spiritual heroes from the Bible, Jim Elliot because he was willing to sacrifice everything to spread the Gospel message.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A. Dean Cook, because of his extraordinary history with Regent University’s School of Law.

Q. What kinds of extra-curricular activities are you involved with?
A. I am part of the International Legal Society and I am active in my local church. I am always striving to sharpen my Intercultural Intelligence (ICI), which is what I feel is a key to understanding those around us. ICI involves understanding and interpreting your own culture as well as those around you with their own unique culture.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A. I’d likely hit the beach, and then tour a battleship.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: