Spotlight on Abby Skeans, 2L

Abby Skeans, 2L
Photo courtesy of Tim Kay, Regent University Marketing.
Q. Where are you from? 
A. Macomb, Michigan

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you? 
A. Becoming a lawyer means having a powerful tool with which to serve others. Whether that means serving at a local legal aid clinic or developing judicial structures overseas, justice opens the door for the people we serve to receive hope and healing as they step into the next chapter of their journey.

Q. How did you spend your summer? 
A. I spent the first month of the summer with the Legal Aid Society of Eastern Virginia. During the remainder of the summer, I worked in East Africa with Sixty Feet, an action-based organization created to bring hope and restoration to the imprisoned children of Uganda, and with Professor Jim Gash of Pepperdine University School of Law. Throughout the summer, I worked to address the backlog of juvenile cases through a pilot program designed by Professor Gash that is introducing plea-bargaining to the Ugandan judicial system. Currently, I am continuing to work with Sixty Feet as we are implementing a database program that will track juveniles in conflict with the law through the system providing them with greater access to justice.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school? 
A. I wish I had known that God was going to grow a desire in my heart for things I had been resistant to in the past. As always, His plan is much better that anything I could have imagined.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
A. The amount of love and support that I receive from the Regent Law community continues to amaze me.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience? 
A. My college experience provided me with a great foundation, but law school has provided me with the tools that I need to be effective in the calling to work for justice.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why? 
A. I am enjoying the International Development and the Rule of Law class immensely! It's an encouragement to be in a smaller, seminar-type course with students with similar interests. The class provides a great opportunity for us to discuss issues pertinent to the fields we hope to work in.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. I hope to be a rule of law practitioner working to develop greater capacity for justice in post-conflict regions.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent? 
A. An invaluable community of men and women who are passionate and intentional about loving and serving God and others.

Q. How do you prefer to study? 
A. I study best in the early mornings in my home office with a cup of coffee.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A. The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer continues to be a book that is influential to my spiritual development. Bonhoeffer's work reminds me of the need for Christians to live in loving community and to live bold, obedient lives in recognition of Christ's costly sacrifice.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse? 
A. Esther 4:13-14 inspires me to live out the calling that I feel God has placed in my heart. Sometimes He places us in uncomfortable, dangerous, and extraordinary positions "for such a time as this."

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why? 
A. Desmond Tutu is one of my heroes. He was extremely influential in bringing healing and reconciliation to South Africa after apartheid. I admire him because he recognized the importance of restorative justice and saw its source in the Christian faith.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why? 
A. I enjoy any time that I am able to spend with Dean Brauch. He is a Godly man with a servant's heart that truly leads by his example of integrity and excellence. He always has so much wisdom and love to share with students.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area? 
A. I would spend the weekend in Williamsburg. I have a lot of happy memories from spending time there with family and friends.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: