Spotlight on Jessica Jones, 2L

Jessica Jones, 2L
Q: Where are you from?
A: I am from Seaford, Delaware which is a small town in the southern part of the state.

Q: What does becoming a lawyer mean to you?
A: Becoming a lawyer means being able to do something that I love. I’m not one of those people who has always known I’ve wanted to be a lawyer, but so many experiences I’ve had since making the decision to come to law school have completely verified the choice and I am so thankful and excited!

Q: How did you spend your summer?
A: For the first half of this summer I participated in the Judicial Internship Program. I interned with the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court in Newport News with the Honorable Judith Kline. The second part of this summer, I interned with the Law Offices of Carl Khalil and Sada Sheldon, a franchise and business law firm.   
 
Q: What do you wish you knew before you started law school?
A: I wish I knew about the amount of information I would learn my first year. I don’t know that I would have been able to prepare any better for it, and it was a good learning experience, but at least I would have had a heads up.

Q: What surprised you most about Regent?
A: That the faculty are just as concerned that they help me grow in my walk with God as they are about teaching the law.

Q: How is law school different from your college experience?
A: I spend so much more time working on homework, reading, and studying. It isn’t that I didn’t do all that in college, but I just feel like the work has definitely stepped up a notch and I have had to adjust my study skills accordingly.

Q: What is your favorite class so far and why?
A: I liked property last year. I think I enjoyed that class so much because I’m a history nerd and I liked reading the really old cases from England.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A: Corporate law. And I’ve been told that is surprising coming from me, but it is completely true!

Q: How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent?
A: Incredibly supportive. We have gone through a lot together already and I know I have grown so much as a person and a Christian through the friends I’ve made this past year.

Q: How do you prefer to study?
A: I prefer to study in a library study room with a fairly small group (one or two other people), using a whiteboard, markers, and my outline. For how long? I have spent as little as an hour in the library and as long as an entire day--it just depends on what I'm studying.

Q: What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A: I have a lot of favorite books, but one that I read recently that really struck me was The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. It is a short, but powerful, book that really makes you think about the impact you have on other people, whether you know it or not. I enjoyed the way it made me think and how it challenged me to want to impact those around me in a positive way.

Q: What is your favorite Bible verse?
A: Mark 10:27, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.” This verse is not only an encouragement, but also a reminder to me that God is in control. Through the good times and the bad, He is steering the way. When I put my trust in Him (instead of myself), everything will turn out just as He planned and that plan will be far better than anything I could do on my own.

Q: If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why?
A: I think it would be fascinating to meet with Winston Churchill. I recently toured the Churchill War Rooms while studying abroad. The entire time I was walking through, I was thinking how interesting it would be to talk with Mr. Churchill about his experiences there, so I think that is who I would choose to meet.

Q: If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A: To be honest, I would love to have lunch with any of the Regent faculty members! I have enjoyed meeting the faculty and staff here at Regent and look forward to meeting other professors and staff as I continue my education.

Q: If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A: Go to the beach! I absolutely love the beach and even though we are so close to several awesome ones, I rarely get to go!

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: