Spotlight on Becca Tingstrom, 3L

Becca Tingstrom, 3L
Q. Where are you from?
A. New York City, New York.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you?
A. Originally, it meant fulfilling a lifelong dream. Now it means being faithful to God's call in my life. As Christians we are called to be in the world and not of it. Clients need two things: excellent representation and Christ. In choosing to enter the legal field, I purposefully engage with our culture as Christ has called me.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school?
A. Even when you tell me the stove is hot, I still have to touch it. That is how law school is. Even though I had been informed as to how challenging law school would be, I had to experience the struggles myself to appreciate how daunting it is.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
A. I think the most surprising thing is how much time and effort some of the faculty pour into the students. I have truly been amazed with the faculty members that have helped to shape, sharpen, and encourage me.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience?
A. The biggest difference to me is the curriculum, but I suppose that is obvious. I majored in Politics, Philosophy, and Economics and the curriculum focused on engaging these big ideas and how they affect one another. Law school has been challenging to me, because while larger theoretical ideas are discussed, classes focus more on the details of the law.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why?
A. I have a tie between Business Associations and Mergers & Acquisitions. These were the most challenging to me and the most rewarding. I'm more business oriented and enjoy the challenge of creating things rather than just going back and trying to rectify a situation later.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. I would like to work in business law. We all have our dream jobs. If I could do anything I wanted it would be to work with entrepreneurs in helping them establish their businesses.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent?
A. I think it is extremely difficult to find and maintain close friendships in law school, but I have been truly blessed with friends who have come alongside me to challenge me to finish well both in law school and also in my walk with Christ.

Q. How do you prefer to study?
A. I study best alone, but enjoy studying in an environment where others are also working to keep me on track. I prefer to study in coffee shops. I am frequent customer at Café Moka because it is the best small business coffee shop around.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A. I'd have to say this is a tie between Paradise Lost by John Milton and Christianity for Modern Pagans by Peter Kreeft. I was required to read Paradise Lost in high school and found it fascinating. I think it is one of the best illustrations of man's fall and Satan's rebellion. Christianity for Modern Pagans is a compilation of Blaise Pascal's Pensees. I read it every year and each time I am challenged in my faith.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse?
A. John 10:10, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” I love how this verse reminds me that the only way I can truly be alive is in Christ.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why?
A. C.S. Lewis. It is my life's ambition to become him. It is important for Christians to be bi-lingual in the sense that we have to be able to speak both “Christianese” and communicate to a secular audience. While admired in Christian circles, Lewis is also respected among the secular world for his ability to explain his faith through reason. 1 Peter 3:15 states “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.” Lewis has always been a model to me in this. Our faith is not based upon feelings. It is grounded in reason and logic. Lewis’ works exemplify this and serve as both a tool and inspiration to me in my interactions with the secular world.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A. Probably Professor Madison and Mrs. Carol Dick. From the few times I’ve watched them interact, it is clear that they appreciate each others strengths, challenge each others weaknesses, and genuinely care for each other.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A.  Honestly, I'd probably get in my car and just drive and see what I could find. There have been a couple evenings when I’ve left the library and driven with no specific place in mind. One time I ended up at the beach, another time in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and another time I ended up driving down Route 5 to Richmond and stopping at the old plantations including Shirley and Sherwood Forest, which is President Tyler’s home.

Q. Is there anything else you would like your peers or future law students to learn about you?
A. My ultimate goal in life is to settle for nothing less than being Christ's disciple, fully alive in Him.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

1 comment:

Penelope G. said...

wooo Becca!!
You're an awesome woman.

Pennie