Spotlight on Laura Ellingson, 3L

Laura Ellingson, 3L
Q. Where are you from?
A. I am originally from Linton, Indiana, which is a rural town in southern Indiana.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you?
A. Becoming a lawyer means being obedient to God's calling in my life. I know God brought me to law school for a reason, and becoming a lawyer is just another step in that plan that he has for me. I am not sure what doors God will open for me as a result of my law degree, but I am looking forward to using my legal career for His purposes.


Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school?
A. I wish I knew that I would not learn everything there is to know about the law but that I would merely learn to think like a lawyer at law school. The longer you are in law school, the more you realize how much there is to learn about the law and how much of the law you still have yet to learn. Law school merely prepares you to continue to learn the law and to apply the law in practice.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
A. The sense of community at Regent surprised me the most. I had heard horror stories about how law school was the survival of the fittest, but Regent is different. At Regent, the students and the professors are one giant support group. I have never experienced a cutthroat atmosphere at Regent, which is refreshing in legal education.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience?
A. Law school is definitely more mentally and physically challenging than my college experience. I remember being told at 1L orientation that law school would be a marathon, and that was an accurate depiction. Law school takes a lot of energy, time, and dedication, but arriving at the finish line (or in my case, almost to the finish line) is the reward. Law school classes also pressure you more than college classes. When 100% of your grade in a class rests on one final exam rather than several tests throughout the semester, the pressure is on more than it ever was in college.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why?
A. That's a tough question. I've had several favorite classes. If I had to narrow it down though, I would have to say Constitutional Law with Professor Jacob. I really enjoy the subject matter, especially since my passion to defend constitutional rights was one of the reasons that I felt led to attend law school. I truly believe that I learned more in that class than any other class in law school, but it is probably because I was passionate about the subject matter.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. I am honestly not sure. My only hope is that I am exactly where God wants me to be. I have several different interests, including constitutional rights, family law, and legal policy, so I'm trying to keep my options open and see where God leads.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent?
A. My closest friends at Regent are fun, Godly, supportive, stress-relieving, and inspiring. I discovered the best circle of friends at Regent during my 2L year when I began serving on Regent Law Review. I honestly don't know how I would have survived law school without my friends in RH 252. We have weekly prayer meetings to encourage and lift each other up, which have been some of my best moments of law school. We have fun while we work on journal work as well (practical jokes, Candyland tournaments, and haiku mania). I am so thankful for those friends that have helped me have a balanced life in law school.

Q. How do you prefer to study?
A. I usually treat my days like a normal work day. I will come in at 7:30, go to class and work, study in between, and stay on campus until 6:00 or 7:00. I prefer to study during the semester at the Law Review office, but during finals, I will usually camp out in a study room in the library. I also have a tradition of having my husband quiz me on my class outline the night before a final.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A. The Bible. It never fails to comfort me, challenge me, and teach me. The Bible is my answer book and my guide for life.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse?
A. Philippians 4:6. 'Be careful for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.' This verse has continually reminded me for the last two years not to worry or be anxious about anything, whether it be finals, interviews, or summer jobs, but to leave everything to God in prayer. I know I will continue to lean on this verse for bar preparation, bar passage, and the job that I will have following the bar exam.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A. I would have lunch with Professor Jacob. I have had the privilege of being in both semesters of his Constitutional Law class as well as having him as my advisor for an independent study, and I admire not only the depth of his knowledge of constitutional law but also his personal testimony and advice for Christians in the legal profession.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A. If I had an entire weekend available, I would start out with a date night with my husband (a rare occasion during law school!), a day riding the waves at Sandbridge, and going to every store in MacArthur Mall in Norfolk. Okay, my husband probably wouldn't like the last one on the list very much, so we would also have to work in some disc golf at Munden Point Park. I would finish the weekend with a trip to our favorite restaurant--Pungo Pizza.

Q. Is there anything else you would like your peers or future law students to learn about you?
A. I would love to share more about my experiences at Regent or to answer any questions about law school in general. You can contact me at laura.beth.ellingson@gmail.com.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: