Spotlight on Kevin Hoffman, 1L

Kevin Hoffman, 1L
Q. Where are you from?
A. The very small and interesting little town of Ocean Grove, New Jersey. If you have ever seen the not-so-famous Hillary Duff movie, 'Greta' then you know all about it!

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you?
A. I have a strong desire to serve my community, and becoming a lawyer has grown out of that desire. Whether I'll be working in our justice system or somewhere internationally on human rights issues once I graduate, I know that I want to serve people around me with talents and education. There are many great things that can only be done with a law degree!

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school?
A. Everyone who goes to law school is at least partially a type A personality. This has to be accounted for in regards to simple things like getting the seat you want in class, etc. People will show up earlier than you if you aren't on top of things. But then of course they see that you're more on top of things than them and show up even earlier. It's a funny thing that really caught me by surprise.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent?
A. The extent to which the environment truly is family friendly. That was one of the biggest factors in my family's decision to come here, and it has still exceeded expectations. Faculty and students alike are considerate of the demands of having a family and will do everything they can to support you in that.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience?
A. You really do have to do your reading before class...all of it. Everyone who comes to law school did well at undergrad; although each of us had to put in different amounts of work to achieve that success. But, no matter who you are, you will be pushed harder academically in law school than ever before.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why?
A. I am a big fan of Civil Procedure. I like to learn the rules of the game and figure out how to use them to my advantage. Professor Duane also does an amazing job of delivering the material in a way that is interesting and practical. Property is probably a close second however.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. Some variant of prosecution. Whether that is as a U.S. Attorney or with an international NGO, I don't really know yet. I definitely would like to clerk for a judge for the first year or two after graduation as well. As a 1L I'm still very willing to be flexible and to see where God takes me!

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent?
A. Amazing! I do not advise going through your 1L year without a tremendous support system. No one person can stay on top of everything by themselves and you need those people there to spur you on when you are on the brink of giving up. I met with the same small group of friends from 9 till 5 every day from the end of classes until the last day of finals. At one point or another every one of us had a breakdown or two, but there were always friends there to help you keep going and to pick up your slack. We do have fun outside of studying now and then too!

Q. How do you prefer to study?
A. My wife works on campus here at Regent, so I like to pretend that the Law Library is my office. Whenever I'm not in class then I'm at my desk there from 9-5. Any work that I have left over I do as soon as I get home. On a normal day it's fair to expect that I'll have another hour or two left to get done from home.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why?
A. C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. I took an entire course on the series in undergrad and it continues to amaze me how deep those books are. It takes a masterful author to write a book that can thoroughly entertain a child and still captivate an adult.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse?
A. Psalm 139. It is so powerful to know that no matter where I go, or how I feel, God is always there. In some of the toughest times in my life that chapter has brought me peace.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why?
A. There are way too many good answers to this question. In the interest of variety I will go with the unconventional answer of Abner Doubleday. I love the sport of baseball and I would love to talk with the man who is supposed to have invented the game (maybe?) and ask him if he ever could have imagined what it's become now. As a bonus item for conversation, he is also the man who fired the first shot of the Civil War for the North.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A. That would have to be Adjunct Professor Randy Singer. Not only is he a practicing lawyer, so he could give me all sorts of helpful tips on that front, but he's also my pastor! If you are new to the area and looking for a great church, I highly recommend his - http://trinitychurchvb.com/

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A. Generally speaking, when I have a free weekend I end up filling it with pick-up sports with some of the guys from our intramural football team, 'Assault & Battery,' and a date with my wife. Cinema Cafe for a movie and Skinny Dip for some frozen yogurt can be a real fun cheap date! There are lots of great places to eat around Town Center, so that's definitely worth stopping by if you are visiting the area.

Q. Is there anything else you would like your peers or future law students to learn about you?
A. I am always willing to be helpful if there's a need. If you are reading this as a future Regent Law student and you see me here next year, please don't hesitate to ask me anything you want to know!

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: