Spotlight on Elisa Himes, 2L

Elisa Himes, 2L
Q. Where are you from? 
A. I am from Mendon, Michigan, a very tiny country town in the southwest region of Michigan.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you? 
A. It means having the opportunity and the honor to help people. I have always had a strong desire to impact others' lives for the better and I am really excited to see what opportunities in law lie ahead of me. 

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school? 
A. I wish I would have known how hard it was going to be, especially 1L year. But then again, if I had known, I probably would have chickened out—so better to have gone in blissfully ignorant.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent? 
A. Honestly, how Christ-like it was. I have attended other 'Christian' universities in undergrad, but I never really felt like they represented what being a Christian was really about. They were more Christian in name only: not here. I love that I have people that I can talk about my faith with and people that are there to pray for me and encourage me. I have never felt such a sense of community as I feel at Regent.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience? 
A. Well, memorizing is what got me through all undergrad and I did well. In law school, however, that doesn't cut it. I feel that law school, in contrast to undergrad, teaches you how to think and not just assimilate information.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why? 
A. My favorite class so far was negotiations. I loved that class because of the practical and hands on experience it provided. The class was small and instead of just reading and talking theory we actually got to negotiate and I discovered I really enjoy it.  

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation?
A. I am still up in the air on that. I am interested in immigration, criminal law, international/human rights, civil litigation. Still don't know yet. Just waiting on the Lord to see what doors open up.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent? 
A. I have a great group of friends here! I love them all! How would I describe them? It is funny because we are all very different, come from different backgrounds, and have somewhat differing beliefs, but we all love to hang out and just have fun. So I guess I would describe them as a group of super awesome, fun loving, law pals.

Q. How do you prefer to study? 
A. I prefer to study by myself for the most part. I usually study at home. I can only study for short periods of time then I have to take a short break. I do get together with study groups, but only when I have pretty much figured out all the material myself and just want some input into some confusing concepts.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why? 
A. I don't really have a favorite book. I really like Jane Austen's work and I also read a book about human trafficking called Not For Sale that was very eye-opening into the international and domestic human trafficking industry.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse? 
A. Philippians 4:13, "For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength..." I used this one a lot first year of law school. I also like Proverbs 3:6 that says "All things work together for good for those who love the Lord and have been called according to his purpose." This verse encourages me because it is God's promise to me that if I seek Him and follow his plan for my life, even when things look bleak, He will always work it out for good.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why?
A. I know it sounds cheesy, but I would love to sit down face to face with Jesus. I just have so many questions for him, although if he hasn't revealed the answers to me as of yet, maybe I am just not supposed to know everything. I would also like to meet Solomon from the Bible, he was the wisest man who ever lived or who ever will live and it would be so fascinating to sit down and have a conversation with that man.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why?
A. Well I work at Law Career and Alumni Services so I will say Darius Davenport, Kathy Stull, and Tina Owens. They are the best!

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area?
A. I would probably just spend it with friends and my husband. I love the outdoors so maybe I'd go hiking or something.

Q. Is there anything else you would like your peers or future law students to learn about you?
A. I have some of the most fascinating stories from my life on the farm that you will ever hear, just ask me some time.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: