Spotlight on David Vitto, 3L


David Vitto, 3L
Q. Where are you from? 
A. I grew up in Burke, Virginia, which is a suburb of Washington, D.C. My family is from Woodside, Queens, New York.

Q. What does becoming a lawyer mean to you? 
A. Becoming a lawyer, to me, means that I have the ability to help those around me in a very unique and exceptional way. There are so many avenues that open up to you as an attorney that will allow you to decide what is right and what is wrong and how you are going to behave. Becoming a lawyer means I have the ability to effect change more than I had before.

Q. How did you spend your summer? 
A. I had a very exciting summer. I worked for six weeks at the Virginia Beach Circuit Court in the Clerk's Office in the criminal division which was a great experience as I got to see the behind the scenes activities of the Court. Additionally, I got married on June 16 to the love of my life in Charlottesville, Virginia at the University of Virginia Chapel.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started law school? 
A. I wish I knew how different law school would be. It is so much different than any schooling I have ever done and it is constantly challenging to me to change, adapt, and learn.

Q. What surprised you most about Regent? 
A. The quality of the people and community. It is one of the most supportive communities I have ever seen and it is echoed in everyday interactions. Everyone is here for a reason and it is so evident that they all strive for the same goal.

Q. How is law school different from your college experience? 
A. Having been an athlete in undergrad, I thought I would have more time to work in law school. I could not have been more wrong. Law school classes require so much more devotion in terms of time because of the complex legal doctrines that you have to work through and understand on your own time. Law school, to me, is constantly shifting in terms of what classes you are taking and what challenges you are facing. I like to put myself out of my comfort zone sometimes to challenge myself, so taking a class where I have to be confrontational or more assertive makes it challenging. I don't think I had that option in undergrad.

Q. What is your favorite class so far and why? 
A. I would have to say that my favorite class so far was a special topic class with Judge Kelsey of the Court of Appeals. The class was about the resurgence of legal history in modern Supreme Court cases. It was a very small class, but we were challenged to review and study historical sources and comment on their appropriateness. One of my favorite parts of the class was we got to listen to recorded oral arguments made before the Supreme Court.

Q. What kind of law do you hope to practice after graduation? 
A. I hope to practice in law dealing with higher education and education issues.

Q. How would you describe the group of your closest friends found here at Regent? 
A. Easy-going (if that could be said about law students), patient, supportive, hard-working, inspiring, and enduring.

Q. How do you prefer to study? 
A. I prefer to study at home. Though there are distractions, I find that I can focus slightly better at home. I also like to change my routine sometimes just so that I don't get too complacent.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time and why? 
A. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. The book is, in my opinion, a fantastic read and never gets dull the more I read it. There are just so many elements of the story and I tend to sometimes change my opinion on certain themes of the book as I read it more often.

Q. What is your favorite Bible verse? 
A. Proverbs 27:17, “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” This verse speaks to me because I believe that we are social creatures at our core, and that the challenges we face should be faced together.

Q. If you could meet with anyone alive or dead, who would it be and why? 
A. Even though I met them when I was very young, both of my grandfathers passed away the year I was born. If I could meet them or spend any time with them now, that would be my wish. I would want to learn from them anything I could.

Q. If you could have lunch with any faculty member or administrator at Regent who would it be and why? 
A. Professor Lentz. He has a great practice and so many tips and stories. And I would make sure to get him coffee.

Q. What kinds of extra-curricular activities are you involved with? 
A. I am currently working as a paralegal in the law firm of Snyder and Tankersley in Chesapeake. I am the Public Relations Liaison for the Moot Court Board, the Executive Vice President/President of Sports for the Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law Society, and a member of the Honor Council. I also have played on the Regent Co-Ed Softball teams and the Chili Bowl Flag Football teams.

Q. If you had an entire weekend available, what would you do in the Hampton Roads area? 
A. Depending on the weather, go to the beach, maybe catch a Tides baseball game or Admirals hockey game, go out in Ghent or Town Center for dinner, and then maybe catch a show at the Norva. Also, Cinema Cafe in Greenbrier has cheap movie tickets and is a nice change of pace.

Q. Is there anything else you would like your peers or future law students to learn about you? 
A. I am always willing to donate my time to great causes. Don't wait on the sidelines for something to happen. Make it happen.

Click HERE if you would like to be considered for a similar Q and A feature on this blog.

No comments: